Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gardy likes Punto, so do I

I read over in the Pioneer Press that Ron Gardenhire is pushing to re-sign free agent shortstop Nick Punto. In fact, he has guaranteed him a starting spot:

"If we sign Nick Punto, he would be my starting shortstop," Gardenhire said.

What happens if we don’t sign Nick Punto? “If we lose Nicky, I'm not afraid to take a look at Casilla over there." said Gardy.

I don’t dislike Alexi Casilla, but I would prefer to see Nick Punto back on the field for the Minnesota Twins in 2009. I think he is a better choice for shortstop and a great batter. Punto has reportedly received inquiries from three or four other teams.

I think the Twins should sign Nick Punto to a multi-year deal and make sure he is a part of opening up Target Field in 2010 as well. I am sure the front office is thinking of that as well, you know, building a team for 2010. Let’s hope good decisions are made so we can have a strong team to finish up the Metrodome Legacy and an even better team to start the new legacy in 2010.

No comments: