Monday, January 28, 2008

Twins sign Morneau and Cuddyer for big bucks

Well, Minnesota Twins signing news is still on the front burner of Minnesota Twins news. Last Thursday, I wrote about how happy I was that my Justin Morneau jersey wouldn’t be going to waste and now I can rest assured it will last me at least six years (that’s a pretty solid investment, Twins fans)

Justin Morneau signed a Twins record deal last weekend agreeing to $80 million over six years –that is the longest and richest in club history. It appears the Twins dollar squeezing days may be over…do you suppose the Twins read this blog? I was just talking about the need to secure key players in order to win a pennant race and you can’t do that unless you are willing to open the checkbook.

The Twins also signed Michael Cuddyer for $24 million over the next three years. I personally think that is a bit much, but time will tell. The Twins originally offered him $4.7 for next year (do the math $14.1 over three years) I am not sure what inspired the Twins to ante up the $8 million a year especially since my sources told me Michael Cuddyer was only looking for 6.2 million next year (do the math $18.6 over three years), but apparently the Twins wanted him to sign.

Let’s hope these hot hitters can propel the Twins into a pennant race and gain some excitement for a team that will soon have a new home field and let's hope they can help sell some Twins Tickets!

No comments: