Monday, February 05, 2007

JUSTIN IS STILL MY BOY

On Friday, I was so thankful to hear that the Minnesota Twins signed my boy Justin Morneau! I was sad to hear it was only for a year, but I am just so happy the ink is on the paper! Reports are that American League MVP Justin Morneau agreed to a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the club. Wow - that's a pay raise! I think he was making like $300,000 last year! I guess being MVP, leading the club in home runs (34) and RBI's (130) helps the checking account!


The agreement between the club and the first baseman came at the midpoint between the $5 million Morneau sought and the $4 million the club had offered. "He's a talented young player, and he's given a good effort as far as working at his game," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said of Morneau. "I think there is a certain maturation that we've seen in Justin. He put up numbers, and consequently that earned him the MVP. When you do that, you're going to be rewarded, and he was." The Twins had made public their desire to try and sign Morneau to a multi-year deal and I made my desire public as well, but I guess when it came down to it, the two sides weren't able to agree on the terms. That doesn't mean that it's been ruled out from happening in the near future because I know Justin loves Minnesota Twins baseball and we love him - I am sure he will come around (-: Welcome Home Justin, Welcome Home!

Fun Justin Fact:
He was the first Twins player to earn MVP honors since Rod Carew in 1977.

No comments: